Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Now, what did I do with that white ball gown?

In 1966, Truman Capote (I know, my second Capote reference in as many weeks-what's up with that?) threw what some people have called the Party of the Century.  It was called The Black and White Ball, and was thrown in honor of his friend and editor of The Washington Post, Katherine Graham.  Some attendees weren't impressed with the party, seemed bored and left early (including Frank Sinatra and his then wife Mia Farrow, pictured above); others claimed it was a huge success and would not be surpassed by any to follow.  As you can see, the mask element added an air of mystique and intrigue.

Why am I yammering about this?  Because we have an opportunity to attend our very own Black and White Ball, the Fort Worth Opera's fundraising event this year.  The invitation came attached to a mask, and the cheapest ticket is $350.00.  If you don't want to sit with the riffraff, you could spend $20,000 to sit at the Swan table.  Can you even imagine spending $20,000 and not having a new shiny automobile or some such afterwards?  

But money aside, I would love to go to a big, grownup party like this one day before I die.  One where it takes months to find the right dress, shoes and jewelry.  One where just the anticipation and excitement of what's to come can put you in a good mood.  One where it takes all day just to get ready for it.  I guess I've already been to one event that lives up to all three of those expectations:  my wedding, which was absolutely the funnest party I've ever been too.  But I'm sure the Black and White Ball would come in a close second.  

1 comment:

Julie said...

You would probably spend the whole time at the BW Ball wishing you were at home with cutie Gabriel. Well, maybe not the WHOLE time.