Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Scary


I think of all the things that frighten me about the effects of global warming, nothing sends a chill up my spine like reading about the disappearance of bees.  They are such an important part of our food chain, and scientists seem a bit baffled at why they are disappearing at such an alarming rate.  I know that even in our own little backyard ecosystem (which I try to keep as natural and pesticide free as possible), by this time of year we usually have at least 4 or 5 large wasp nests.  This year, there's not one.  They started out building them in the spring, and now, nothing.  

I seriously think we should heavily fine the pesticide companies, who in my opinion have tried to brainwash the public into thinking that all insects are bad and should be nuked off the face of the earth.  Maybe the money could go towards trying to reinstate colonies (with the understanding that they would be safe from future pesticide attacks), or at least towards more research into the problem.  Since they were part of what caused it.

No comments: