Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Herb garden...again?

I've tried to grow herbs several times over the last few years.   Only a few have been successful for a long period - rosemary and oregano.  All the others, especially the ones I use most frequently, don't do very well after the first month I plant them.  I need basil, thyme, flat-leaf parsley, chives, dill and cilantro.  Those are the ones I find myself buying in the produce section over and over, and then throwing away the unused portion (which always gets me thinking about growing my own).  I'm pondering the option of  growing them indoors this time, but I'm not sure if we get enough light in our one Southern-facing window during the winter.  I read a tip of putting aluminum foil behind the plants to get them even more light.  I don't think I want to try a grow light.   That just seems like too much trouble and I don't know where I'd put it.  And I just read that basil won't work indoors, it needs too much sun.  I guess it won't hurt to try a few, other than being out the price of the herbs.  Again.

No comments: