Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Doctor Phillips

My family doctor is unique, to say the least.  He has longish gray hair that is sometimes in a ponytail.  He loves all types of music and I never know what I'll hear when I walk in the door - but I know it will be something I like.  Today it was Sting.  Last time it was the Garden State soundtrack (one of the best CD's EVER), and in the past 8 or so years that I've been seeing him I've heard The Beatles, R.E.M., and one day Led Zeppelin!  (He must have been irked at the insurance companies that day, who drive him insane).  But the best thing about him is his bedside manner.  He is so calm, he explains things well, and he really listens.  He has an older clientele (who never seem to mind the music) that he cares for in the most charming way.   He remembers names and seems to take his time with each patient.  He asks after their spouses.  In other words, he really seems to care and wants to help people.  

The other great thing about him is his staff.  They all LOVE working for him and have the most fun.  I have never been when I didn't hear jokes, stories, and much laughter, in between all the actual work they have to do.  My theory is, because they love their jobs and have the freedom to have so much fun, it carries over to all of us patients.  Because no matter how sick I am, it's always pleasurable to wait and listen to their frivolity.  One year I showed up on Halloween and my doctor was dressed as a pimp, and all his"Ladies" were a sight to behold!  The Nurse Practitioner told me she was afraid of losing credibility with her patients, so decided a geisha girl was a good compromise.  In her words, "at least they were a little higher class of hooker."  I'm telling you these people have FUN while they work.  I just wish I'd had a camera with me that day!

And I hope he doesn't retire anytime soon.

No comments: