Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dogs



After returning from a visit to Christi's house last week, where I used to live, Molly kept sniffing me up and down.  My first thought was that she was picking up Thomas's (Christi's ever-so-cool cat) scent.  But then I started wondering if maybe she was remembering the smell of that house.  We know dogs have an amazing sense of smell, especially my half-hound dog.  How long do scents linger, especially inside?  I'm sure the outside ones have all been washed away by rain by now, but how much vacuuming and cleaning does it take to wash away inside scents?  

I used to wonder about this right after I lost Stanley and I would be walking Molly.  Could she still pick up his scent, and was it making her wonder where he was?  This is probably putting a human spin on a dog's thought process, which I have a bad habit of doing.  But it was still interesting to think about.  

No comments: