Saturday, February 21, 2009

Just wrong

Gabriel had his speech evaluation yesterday from Early Childhood Intervention.  It was a broader test than the one he had at Cooks Children's, but was also more general.  The speech therapist concurred with his original evaluation (he's only at a 21-month-old level), but because their program is so overloaded she could only set up once-a-month appointments.  Cooks had recommended once-a-week sessions.  So I took the appointment with ECI, and whenever Cooks has an opening we'll have to discuss how much Gabriel's progressed and decide which program to use.

I am a little upset, though, with our main "case worker" from ECI.  She has not come out and blatantly said anything, but she keeps giving me hints that she might be disapproving of us for choosing to use them based on the fact that we seem to be a little more well off than the average family they try to help.  She has been telling me stories about the disadvantaged areas they have to visit and how they can't afford to hire more therapists because of their limited state-supplied budget.  She mentions that most of their families cannot afford private insurance.  She often has touched on some of these things during her visits, but yesterday that's all she talked about before the speech therapist arrived.

It was one of those things that didn't occur to me until after she'd left yesterday.  But now that I realize what she was hinting at I would like to tell her that first off, it isn't any of her business or concern what kind of income we have.  She works for an organization that provides to all families who need help, not just ones of a particular income level.  Secondly, it is not our fault that some of these more expensive programs seem to also be understaffed, and have a lengthy waiting list.  And finally, I would appeal to her as a parent.  I would ask her how she would feel if it were her child.  I would ask if she could imagine what it felt like when your child is trying to talk to you and try out new words, and you have to finally give up and say, "I'm really sorry baby, but I just can't understand you".  And his face falls.  Several times a day.  This is a call to action for any parent.  It doesn't matter where the help comes from or how much it costs (or doesn't cost), you just want help.   We just want help.  NOW.   It's just a matter of who can get to us first.  

I'm not sure what I'll actually say, though, because I still need her help.  

No comments: