Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A complement and a complaint

In the March issue of Reader's Digest, there is an article written by Reese Witherspoon, actress and Mom, about her rules regarding manners and morals for her children.  I like the whole article, but my favorite part is when she's talking about the sense of community she received growing up the South:  "I take my children to church in Los Angeles.  It takes you out of your personal experience and universalizes it.  You understand that whatever you're dealing with, someone in that room has either dealt with the same thing or will in the future."  That's how I feel about going to church.  This is a woman who has stayed grounded within her roots, and has not let Hollywood or stardom get in the way of raising her children the same way.  How refreshing! 

To see the whole article, go here.

My complaint is with network television.  Is it any wonder that they are in the sad state they find themselves when a smart, creative, and well-acted and -directed show like Life On Mars gets canceled before it finishes even one season?  Apparently not only will we get to see the remaining finished episodes, but the producers were preparing for this bad news and scrambled to have the last episode answer all the questions.   I'm glas that we'll be able to find out the mystery of why Sam was hurtled back the 70's and if he will find his way back, but why can't they give shows at least in to the second season before giving them the ax?  Network execs must be IDIOTS!

3 comments:

Christi (Hutchins) Dick said...

I agree with your complaint and your compliment, but I'm a little concerned that you read Reader's Digest:-)

Anonymous said...

Point well taken! My uncle gets us a subscription every year for Christmas. That way he doesn't have to think of anything to get us, and it only costs him like $5/year. Usually I only do the vocabulary quiz, then Gabriel flips through them after his bath. But this article caught my eye. I'm worried about myself because I apparently can't spell compliment.

Anonymous said...

We get the same publication from Luella. I enjoy the jokes and some of the one-page things, but rarely read any more.