Monday, March 09, 2009

Modern troubadour with an edge


I've only been a fan of Richard Thompson for about 5 years.  I had heard his classic "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" song on one of the radio stations periodically (probably KERA before they stopped playing music all day).  Then I heard him interviewed on Glenn Mitchell and heard both recorded and live songs in studio.  I thought he was brilliant on the guitar, and found his voice one of those I could listen to all day and never get tired of it.  Jav heard the same interview and thought he was talented too.  I went out and found a Greatest Hits CD.  I was shocked but pleased to hear some rocking songs, some alt country-sounding songs, some cajun, and some pop.  In other words, not just acoustic folk, and I fell in love even more and knew I had to see him live one day.

That day came last Tuesday at the Lakewood Theater in Dallas.  The man strolled out on stage at exactly 8 pm, just holding his guitar.   The only other things on stage were a stool holding a glass of water and I think a towel.  Talk about downsized!  But he proceeded to charm, dazzle, hypnotize at times, and totally entertain us for the next two hours.  It seemed at times like there had to be other instruments up there with him somewhere, but no.  It was just his amazing talent on that guitar.  And that voice!  How does it still sound so perfect after all these years?  It makes me think of sipping on some warmed whiskey with lemon and honey when you've had a sore throat - just so soothing.  I only knew 4 songs out of the 15 or so he sang, but it just didn't matter.  It left me wanting more than just a Greatest Hits CD!  And although I loved hearing the classic 1952 song, my favorite was one someone just shouted out from the audience when he asked for requests - Bees Wing, a song about fond memories and lost love, that just makes you want to cry it's so poignant and full of melancholy.  What a talent for telling a story through song this man has.

Thanks honey for the best Valentine's gift I could have asked for! 

2 comments:

Julie said...

Did you feel like a youngster when compared with the rest of the audience?

Anonymous said...

Actually, everyone sitting around us was close to our age, which I was surprised by after your warning!