Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dyo Dyo

Taking a time out from his cars to do a little kicking.

I love this picture of Joel and Poppy.

...which is the way Joel says his name. We all call him Jo Jo except Gabriel, who still prefers Joel (and corrects us if we try to call him Gabe). I caught Joel in the hall playing with matchbox cars one afternoon, just mumbling to himself, "mama, dyo dyo, mama, dyo dyo." So cute. Everything he does right now is SO STINKIN' CUTE!

He likes to say a long string of Joel words while he's got one arm up in the air and his thumb and forefinger pressed together. The only thing I've determined is that maybe he thinks he is King Joel addressing his minions. Jav thinks that he is trying to tell us something very important.

He's trying to run, and those pudgy rolls of leg are going to be slimming down soon, I fear.

He LOVES to play Gabriel's drums. And gleefully speeds through the house if he happens to get ahold of the drumsticks. I've noticed that instead of constant movement through the house, he is now sitting and playing with toys for ten minutes at a time. After telling people that I didn't think he would ever get into books like Gabriel seems to be, he is contradicting me by picking out books and happily looking through them all through the day.

He started blowing kisses to people last week. And adds a, "mmmmmmm wa"

He stretches his arms to the ceiling on command ("Stretchy, stretchy, stretchy, etc...) then drops them really slowly while audibly exhaling and saying, "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh". Something he learned from watching Mommy stretch. And speaking of Mommy, he comes to find me to give me a squeeze and a kiss behind the knees around every 15 minutes. I relish each and every one. The kid needs to teach at a school for hugging.

Food is a challenge right now, at least healthy food. He is a cheese, bread and fruit man. The only meat I can get down him is turkey sausage or bologna (at least it's turkey, right?). He likes peanut butter and jelly and scrambled eggs, so at least I have a few protein options. Vegetables are a complete and utter failure. I've tried every kind and not only will he not eat them, he doesn't even want them on the high chair tray. I felt like I was making a little progress last week when he actually picked up and tried cucumber one night and sweet potatoes the next. They both ended up back out of his mouth, but at least he tried them. Sigh.

He wants to be outside ALL the time. Which I would love if it weren't for his terrible allergies. They were so bad that he developed an ear infection. So his doctor put him on a nasal spray even though he usually waits until the child turns two.

Language is present, but only in Joel-form. He says "mama", "dada", "baba" (Gabriel), "Tita", "door" (we have no idea why) and can moo like a cow. We know he is understanding many more, but doesn't seem to want to repeat them when we tell them to him. It's a little frustrating, but he just gives me this look like, "All in good time, mama". All in good time.

No comments: