Saturday, August 18, 2012

Backyard Decathlon!


I'm trying to wrap up the summer posts.  Because even though it's only mid-August, our summer is basically over since Gabriel has started school.

We had Olympic fever at our house.  Before they started, I decided to try to get the boys geared up by holding the first annual Backyard Decathlon.  We started out by having our own parade of countries, marching around the back yard while I hummed the Olympic theme.  Then it was time for the competition to begin.  Our categories were things like Ladder Jumping and Purple Ball Throwing.  Whoever won got to stand on the upside-down ball bucket and be presented their medal, along with a kiss on each cheek from Mommy.  It was great fun, and we WILL do this again, even in a non-Olympic year.  




One new fun thing that we've been doing this summer is glow stick bubble baths.  We fill up the tub with bubbles, get the sticks going and flip off the lights.  INSTANT FUN!!!   I can't put into words how much the boys love this.  We got the idea from Gabriel's former school friend Luke's mom, who has a blog where she tries out things from Pinterest and posts about the results.  She started the blog because she felt she was wasting a bunch of time in the evenings, and had lost her creative spark sometime in the middle of having children (didn't we all?)   Here's a link if you're interested.  I have a list going of things I want to try from it.  

My mom's birthday was at our house, very last minutely thrown together.  Which can sometimes be very, very fun.



The Birthday Girl


I'm kind of proud of my pretty Turk's Cap centerpiece, clipped from the garden that morning.


Joel, showing his "Cheese-y" smile, with his Aunt April.





Now I need to still finish up with a Cousin weekend post, and my fabulous NY/NJ trip post.  

No comments: