Thursday, May 02, 2013

Fond food memories

About five weeks into our no-meat Lent back in March, I had a craving at work for a cheeseburger.  But not just any cheeseburger.  Not one of those meat/soy/cereal/who-knows-what-else mixtures that claim to be a burger these days.   This was a burger straight from my childhood.

The Char-Bar was a drive-up (they didn't have drive-thrus yet) burger joint on East Lancaster.  Smokey's Barbecue is now gracing the spot where it used to stand.  I remember a huge speaker box that my dad would yell our order into.  I wonder who I thought he was talking to as an eight-year-old.  God as short-order cook, complete with greasy apron and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, answering our hungry prayers one patty at a time?  I remember the smell wafting out of the kitchen, making your mouth water and your stomach growl even louder.  I remember the music playing to entertain us, my dad usually whistling along with his beautifully toned whistle.  I remember, after waiting for what seemed like a half-hour, girls delivering our dinner wearing some type of stripes-either on a uniform or a hat.  But mostly I remember the burger.  Heaven on a toasted bun.  Heavy on the mustard, ketchup and pickles.  Real cheese dripping down the sides.  The meat charred just enough to have a slight crunch on the outside.  Which must have all gotten into my head to stay, because I don't like my burgers any other way to this day.

People didn't eat out as much back then.  During our Char-Bar days, there were no fast-food restaurants.  But when they came, I can't imagine that we would have traded that juicy burger goodness for quicker but soggier McDonald's.  The Char-Bar must have already been defunct by then, right?  Or did the promise those golden arches held actually affect people's taste buds back then?  After all, it was new, and fast, and oh so convenient,  No more waiting a half-hour for your dinner.  But oh the price we paid (and still pay) for that convenience.


The only burger that has ever come close to a Char-Bar burger in my brain is a Chili's Old Timer.  Close, but not quite.  How nice to know that when slightly dizzy from low-blood sugar and obviously lacking proper protein for awhile that those food memories are alive and well and pretty powerful things.

Next food memory post:  Wyatt's Cafeteria.

No comments: