Thursday, May 01, 2008

Blowing in the wind

What's the deal with the wind this year? I feel like I'm living on the beach, but without the added benefit of having the ocean within walking distance. It seems like I'm picking up small tree branches from the yard every other day. We have two wind chimes on our back porch, which I like the sound of very much. UNLESS it's blowing a gale force wind, and then they drive me crazy. They have spent more time laying on the patio table then hanging from their posts this year.

I used to have really bad anxiety attacks when it was really windy. I think it's because I have a very ingrained fear of fire, and because wind spreads fire, I also fear wind. When I was little we were driving to visit my grandfather in the hospital once, which was a little traumatic in itself. But we had been seeing this huge plume of smoke for miles while we were driving. Eventually we came to the source. A small house was completely enveloped in flames. That, coupled with the fact that the forest fire in Bambi completely freaked me out as a kid has led to this worry. When I used to get the panic attacks really bad, I was always driving somewhere or traveling sort of far away from my house, so I would worry that my house was on fire (with pets inside) while I was gone.

I still get them occasionally. These days, it's not just the wind that causes the anxiety attacks, it's all the stuff I worry about culminating into one big panic. Mostly environmental fears - running out of water one day, the temperature going up so high that no one can venture outside, overpopulation getting so bad that we have no wild animals left anywhere in the world. You know, little stuff like that. (hah). Stuff I have pretty much no control over at all. Hence the panic. Life can be tough sometimes when you are a control freak.

No comments: